Sunday, September 15, 2013

Growing Leaders- Advice to a Would-Be Intern

The article Growing Leaders explains that an internship is not just the latest thing handed to a young person to Tweet about, but rather it should be considered as equivalent to a long job interview where you are evaluated every day.  Every student should take the internship seriously because it gives you a realistic view of what your job may be like in the professional world one day. When you are interning it is a time to learn, observe, be evaluated, and show a good work ethic.  The most imortant qualities mentors look for in interns are responsibility, high energy, teachable personality, and initiative; prioritizing those above the standard talent of the student in their career field.  If an intern shows those characteristics and good attitude while learning on the job, it results in a more positive experience for both student and the mentor.
Readers can access Tim Elmore's blog at http://growingleaders.com/blog/.

This article was very helpful, and I believe I can apply the characteristics he mentions are most desired in interns.  I think of myself as a very responsible person who takes initiative.  If I have a task to finish or an assignment deadline, most of the time I complete the assignment a few days before it is due.  One way I think I could apply the advice from the article is to not be afraid to ask a lot of questions of my mentor and become actively involved with hands-on activities and tasks my mentor does.  Another important aspect of my mentorship will be to be proactive and volunteer myself to help out wherever needed, even if not asked.

What I found most relevant in this article was that it not only described the behaviors and skills needed for metorship, but it indicates that I can have the chance to show good leadership skills.  I do believe when I am very interested in something, I put forth all my efforts in a way that is visible.  In order to work with animals to help them be healthier and happier, I must be willing to ask questions and show that I am willing to learn all aspects of the area including not only animal care, but also other aspects of the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment