Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Debt Lesson- Dave Ramsey

I feel like I manage my money very well when it comes to spending. I have two separate bank accounts:  savings and checking.  I rarely take any money from my savings, and with checking I buy gas at least twice a month, pay for some of my car payment, and save the rest unless I have the infrequent urge to buy something for myself.  Most of the time I have at least $100 in my checking account to make my self feel better.

"We do not break the bad habit of debt through earning more money, but rather we break any habit by replacing it with a better one."
I believe this quote means that if people have a bad habit of getting into debt, the solution is not that they need to make more money necessarily, but they should stop spending the money they "don't have."  Most people think their problem is their income, but more than likely it's the way they manage their money.

I think when I get older I should be able to manage my finaces properly and not let my finanacial needs overwhelm me.  It helps a lot that I am a very organized person and I am very thrifty when it comes to spending my money.  Often times too "thrifty" to the point of being called a "scrooge."  Also, my mom handles her finances well and I believe watching the way she handles her money and income can help me form good habits for later in life.

Although money is not everything in this world, it is certainly imperative that we have it to live.  For my major, I realize it is not the highest money making job or career.  From what I have experienced so far in my field over the summer, working with marine animals is not the career for you if you're looking for a high paying job.  I feel like your career path should be a job you enjoy.  Enjoy working with animals and not worry so much about the money.  I have taken into consideration how tight money could be with this job because after all, it is what will be paying my bills.  However,I believe I would enjoy this job enough to deal with and manage the financial side.

No comments:

Post a Comment