Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reflections on my Mentorship

Describe the most memorable experience you have had this semester in regards to the Honors Mentorship Program?
The most memorable thing that has happened at my mentorship is probably when a Golden Retriever came in and both the owners and vet thought the dog had just swallowed an unknown object. Little did they know that the dog had gotten into rat poison; in the middle of trying to put an oxygen tube down the dogs throat they saw that there was so much blood in the trachea that they had to perform an emergency surgery. Chances were not in the dogs favor because the dog had too much blood in his lungs to live and he could no longer breathe. I saw how sad and stressed everyone was over the sudden death of the dog and it made me remember it so clearly. It also helped me realize in this field accidents can happen and sometimes you can only do so much to fix/help the animal.
What has been the biggest lesson learned during your first semester of your mentorship experience?
The biggest lesson I have learned through my mentorship is time management and how more involved I should probably be while i'm at my mentorship. I say this because my mentor is constantly asking questions, and although most of the time these questions don't interest me, I should engage more because I could actually learn something important.

How will you use this experience in the future? How has this experience changed your view of learning?
I will use this experience in the future by always engaging in coversation with peers and/or workers even if I'm not interested in the topic of conversation. Since my mentor knows just about everything he's made me see different sides and point of views for every subject imaginable; even when I think i'm right over a topic he can lead me to thinking I am completely wrong, and sometimes it makes me believe im not smart.

How has it changed your view of the career area in which you are mentoring?
Seeing how much work and dedication it takes to open an animal hospital, I realize how hard it is working with animals than I thought. Although dogs are not the same as dolphins or other sea animals, both still take a lot of time and care. I know going into the marine science field that I will have much work and time ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment