Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mission Statement, Dreams, and Reflections

My Mission Statement
My mission in life is to spiritually grow and show compassion for others while maintaining honesty.  I want to help others and be open to them helping me; believe in others as well as myself, and develop relationships that will last a life time.

Dare to Dream!
In my mentorship this year I hope to gain more experience in the real world and learn to become more professional. Also, I believe this program will enhance my public and social skills tremendously with adults and professionals in the animal care world. Working with the Vet Care Hospital will help me guide the direction I want to go into with animals.
In order for me to fully gain the experiences I am looking for, I will try as much as possible to get hands on experineces with the animals rather than watching my mentor and observing. Also, asking many questions while my mentor and I are working with the animals will help me learn.
This Program will provide me with experience with animal care that will transfer to marine animals in the future.  Working with other animals such as dogs, cats, birds,etc will only add to my experience and will provide insight into this career field.  By the end of this program I should have a much better idea if this career is something I am interested in pursuing.


"Perfectly Polished"
Three important lessons I learned at "Perfectly Polished" were how to make a first good impression, how to start a conversation neat and professionally, and how to properly give a hand shake.  

It is always important to make a good impression with someone that can potentially become your boss or even co-worker. Dressing appropriately for the occasion is always a good start, and although your presence means a lot if you cant hold a mature and professional conversation, then your looks will mean nothing.  Another affective way to make others believe you are an easy going and appropriate is to always smile when you first meet someone.

When you are meeting someone for the first time or even introducing someone, it is always important to make sure the other feels important and wanted in the conversation. Eye contact and repeating someones name after you meet them ensures you are paying attention to what they have to say, and that you actually care what they are telling you. It is never a good thing to meet someone for the first time and rarely smile, look miserable or you hardly acknowledge the other person's presence.  When it is time to move on to someone else or something comes up in the middle of the conversation, the polite thing to do is excuse yourself from the conversation in order for the other person to understand you aren't bored or ditching the small talk.

In "Perfectly Polished" we were taught that holding a handshake usually longer than two shakes can be awkward and unecessary. If you notice the other person may not know about "proper" hand shakes, you can release your hand after two seconds, and that lets the he/she know the handshake is over.  Although some people may give the squeeze grip, spaghetti noodle, or the gloove handshake, one should never mimic the handshake nor correct the other person. This lets to other person know you are professional and know your manners.

 These all made an impact on my manners because sometimes I am guilty of mimicking the squeeze grip, not smiling enough, or showing lack of my attention and interest in a conversation. I believe this class did teach me a lot about potential interviews and important people I may meet in the near future. Knowing these things makes me less nervous to interact with people above me because I do know what to say and how to start the conversation even if I do feel awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment